Monday, April 23, 2012

A Tale of Two Conferences (and a book signing)

It's Monday and I'm back at my desk after a ten days so whirlwind they're worthy of a Dickens-esque title! Here's the recap with pictures.

April 13: Joined Rosanne Parry for a wonderful Book Fan Friday event at Powell's Bookstore where we were joined by a very talented group from the Portland Symphonic girlchoir. Lots of fun giving a mini-writing workshop for the singers and audience!  Plus I had the pleasure of grabbing a bite with Rosanne and the ever-amazing Sara of, who has authored a fantastic graphic novel biography of Hunger Games author Suzanne Collins (a must-have volume for all who love things Mockingjay!).

April 17: Hopped a plane to Houston for the A-MA-ZING 2012 Texas Library Association conference where I participated in a Texas Author Tea with the likes of (wait for it) Orson Scott Card, Deb Caletti, and so many more amazing folks. Presented on a poetry panel with Douglas Florian and Guadalupe Garcia McCall. Went to a cocktail party where I shook hands with John Green and Neal Schusterman.  Dined with Megan Walker and Allen Zadoff.  Hung out tons with Bookanista buddies Megan Miranda and Jessi Kirby.  Oh, heck, I could name-drop all day but instead I'll finish by saying that the MOST AMAZING PART of TxLA was the incredible librarians and book bloggers I met (many in person for the first time) whose passion for and support of YA brought, well, SQUEALS (oh, just ask @JessiKirby or @GReads for the embarassing details). You can also read a nice TxLA wrap-up at Mundie Moms:
with Jessi & Kari of

Out-of-focus pic of an amazing dinner with bloggers & fellow DEAR TEEN ME contributors.

Cowgirl hatted and ready for Texas Tea with Jessi Kirby!

With Jessi and Ginger of
With Stacey of

Friday evening it was back in the air and jetting west to Redmond, WA, for SCBWI Western Washington's annual spring conference to do a panel with Kiki Hamilton, Ben Clanton & Deb Lund (here are the deets:

Disclaimer: This is not my ordinary life.  Or even a semi-ordinary week for me. This was insane, wild, exhausting, super-fun.  Now, I'm back home at the computer, writing and wishing for chocolate (also, a nap!).


Kristi said...

It definitely DOES sound like a whirlwind, albeit a fun and amazing one! One of my girlfriends just got back from TLA and had a blast...I love reading about the conferences through posts and pictures! Thanks for sharing and welcome home! :)

Stasia said...

I love reading conference posts, too, Kristi. Even though I was AT TxLA, there was so much to see, hear, do, that I couldn't catch it all and am still enjoying reading the wrap-ups in the blogosphere :)