Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bookanistas: Why WriteOnCon rules and I'd be a lousy Spice Girl

Things are sizzling in Bookanista-ville. Many of us are crawling out of revision caves or recovering from book launch madness to return to our frenzy of Thursday book love posts. It is so great to reconnect with the Bookanistas--a group to which I am so proud to belong. One thing I discovered after joining is what amazing contributions my colleagues make to their communities (bookish and otherwise): writing for additional blogs, working as librarians and educators, volunteering in Haiti, mentoring new authors... I'm pretty sure if they nicknamed Bookanistas they way they did the Spice Girls, I'd be "Lamest Spice" or, er, "Lamest Bookanista." Whatever. You get it.

Today, I want to point you to an amazing program that boasts several Bookanistas as founders and current staffers. It's called WriteOnCon . It's an Online Children’s Writers Conference (rated MC-18, for Main Characters under 18 only) created by writers, for writers. And it's free.

Right now, they're running a LUCK O' THE IRISH PITCHFEST. Learn about it here: http://writeoncon.com/forum/showthread.php?10676-Luck-O-The-Irish-GENERAL-FAQ. Then vote for your top 3 here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XgzI1or1snM0GFraIiYC0-VGZanZDvFL7kuVKLkgtL4/viewform

WHY?
  • You will learn a ton about pitching your own work.
  • Favorites in each category will win prizes, including some great agent feedback or membership in the official WriteOnCon mentorship program!
  • There are agent-voters looking to sign clients and you'll get insights into what they enjoy.
  • And you'll be all signed up to get details about the upcoming HUGE SUMMER 2013 CONFERENCE.
WriteOnCon boasts many success stories because it's a place where aspiring and published authors at all levels can get advice directly from fellow writers (click HERE to see some of the books WoC peeps have written), amazing agents and other publishing pros. Perhaps most importantly, it is a place to find your COMMUNITY of fellow book people.

Leave a comment below to let me know you registered, voted, or even just checked out WoC (www.writeoncon.com). Include a blog/website/twitter connection AND I WILL VIRTUALLY VISIT YOU by Sunday and we can continue chatting about the value of community for writers and readers.

And, of course, the Bookanistas have lots of book love for you this week.
Click...click...

Tracy Banghart revels in ROMEO REDEEMED by Stacy Jay
Corrine Jackson is redeemed by HOPELESS by Colleen Hoover
Jessica Love gets lost in TAKEN by Erin Bowman
Shannon Messenger celebrates upcoming spring reads






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I submitted my query to the latest WriteOnCon pitchfest, and I am seriously amazed by the friendly and helpful environment. I am an English teacher, and I strive to create this type of supportive writing community for my own students. It's been a great experience! (And taught me a lot about Social Media too :)

@danicalanger
TheTruthAboutMonstersBook.blogspot.com